I loved this assignment. It was great to be able to make
my own podcast based on a topic I actually wanted to learn more about. I chose
to interview my friend Danny about being a USA soccer superfan during the World
Cup. I interviewed him over Skype (he lives in New Orleans) and used Garage
Band for the entire recording and editing process. I’m a big fan of This
American Life and Radiolab, so it felt like I was making a show like those,
which was fun AND motivating. Those shows are serious journalism, and sound
high-quality, so I was hoping to imitate that in some way. I didn’t feel
impeded by the open interpretation-ness of the assignment, I found it rather
freeing, actually. I hope I met the criteria for “[podcast has] something new
and interesting to say”. While I’m certainly not the first person to be talking
about the world cup, I hope I did bring a new perspective.
I discovered so many new things. Firstly, Danny gets frustrated
easily by my complete lack of knowledge. But mostly I learned about soccer-
important players, greatest games and goals, the US’ surprise skill during this
years’ world cup. My favorite thing I learned was about the player Zinadine
Zidane. He became famous as an excellent player for Real Madrid and the French
national team. During the 2006 world cup, an Italian player allegedly insulted
Zidane’s mother and sister. Zidane put this jerky Italian in his place by headbutting
him in the chest (!). What a rebel. He was welcomed back to France as a hero.
I enjoyed the editing process. It put me in full control
of the podcast, and ensured that I was fully responsible for what it turned out
to be. When we first started the interview, I planned to do a story about
Danny’s involvement in a local soccer club league. But he was so much more
excited talking about the world cup, and it came through in his answers. I
decided during the editing process to focus on that instead.
I decided to include clips of soccer commentary during
the podcast to give the entire thing a more authentic feel, and to demonstrate
to listeners the fervor of soccer commentators (They’re the ones who yell “Gooooooooal”
for hours). This was surprisingly easy to do, and since the clips were all on
youtube, I can be sure they’re available to the public. I added music at the
beginning and end of the interview as well, to provide some bookends to the
project.
When thinking about using this as a teacher, I am excited
about the possibilities this project has. You could provide students with a
simple prompt (like “Pride”, “Struggle”, “Secrets”), possibly in conjuncture
with a class book, and leave the project open ended. The software I used
(Garage Band) was surprisingly easy (and FREE!), so I think students could
maser it without becoming frustrated. I can see a few limitations- if the
school did not have access to laptops or computers that have Garage Band
installed (or laptops at all) then the assignment would have to be done
completely outside of class, which makes me nervous (you can’t assume students
have access to computers at home). I’d have to ensure that students could use
school laptops before I develop the assignment. But that is the only drawback I
can imagine, otherwise the project has so many possibilities that I am positive
I’ll use it as a teacher!
Casey, World Cup fever indeed. Your interviewee showed his enthusiasm and I liked how you pressed for answers when you weren't sure of the soccer language. I as a listener appreciated those tutorials. I had the opportunity to use Skype to do a long-distance interview, but hadn't done anything like that, so did a local interview. Yours sounded great and the "distance" element over Skype gave the interview authenticity as well. GarageBand is what I used as well.
ReplyDelete