After creating one, I think screencasts are a great way to
present assignments. It shows students exactly the process that they need to
follow, reducing any confusion about programs or expectations. It’s more
dynamic too- you’re not just talking at your students to give them the
important information; they’re watching a video. It’s more environmentally
friendly than 50 handouts as well.
I enjoyed creating this very much. It’s fun to make creative
assignment, because you know your students will enjoy them more than book
reports. I believe creative assignments use similar analytic skills to
traditional ones, so you might as well make them interesting! The project I
designed revolves around Jerry Spinelli’s great book Maniac Magee. I incorporated two fluencies- creative fluency and
media fluency. The students will be using creative fluency by creating unique
short story that asks them to add a story onto the end of the story. I’m asking
them to mimic the style of Jerry Spinelli, because in this theoretical unit we’ll
be studying Writing about Difference, and one of the things I’ll be asking my
students to focus on is writing style. I’m asking them to create a story 500
words or longer that uses multiple characters and is engaging. They then record
the story they wrote, which brings in the media fluency into play. They follow
the directions into the video to properly record, add music, save, convert and
send their recordings. I wanted to make sure I hit on five important factors in
my rubric, and settled on Creativity (making sure the project is original),
sound quality (testing for media fluency), performance (see if the students
could read their stories aloud like a books-on-tape narrator), written story
(checking to see if they edited effectively), and following instructions.
Creating the video itself was a surprisingly easy process. I used Quicktime
player to record a screencast. After rehearsing it a few times, I gave it a go.
I reviewed it, saved it, and that was that. Really simple. I used Quicktime
because it was so easy. I decided to have them use Word and Garage Band for the
same reason- ease of use.
I would absolutely use instructional videos in future for
many assignments, especially longer ones that have multiple steps. I also think
I’d use it for any tech-based assignments, to make sure they’re using the right
programs. This is such a great idea that I would have never thought of as a
useful teaching tool.
No comments:
Post a Comment