Reaffirming the power of kids.
The readings this week have reaffirmed some suspicions I've had recently, mostly about how writing can fit into my classroom. First off, Kirby made me feel more better about not being a daily writer. He said students don't need to be daily writers, because experience is what makes writing interesting. "Great Literature could not be written if the authors did not experience the joys and defeats of their lives". I was always told that, in order to become a good writer, I needed to put pen to paper daily to get "comfortable" with the practice of writing. However, what happened is that, when I inevitably forgot to write once or twice in a row, I gave up the practice entirely believing that now I could never write anything decent. And that's not to say that students, who may be 10 or 11 when I teach them, don't have valuable things to say. Instead, I want to take up Schreiner's philosophy about students. His words are hopeful and optimistic, and I found them especially inspiring. "The students I began teaching were to be treated as writers, entitled to self-expression, capable of inspiring and being inspired, interested in writing about themselves for an audience larger than their teacher". This is the kind of writing I want to be teaching. This is the kind of activities I want to facilitate. I want to create a learning environment that fosters this. This week's authors provide some benchmarks to make sure you're developing a healthy writing environment, like outlawing mockery and insults to create a safe space. They also advocate encouraging students to use their own language, which is something I haven't heard many writing teachers talk about.
These encouraging words have reminded again to never lose sight of the ability of my students. It's my job to listen to the stories they have to tell and to validate the power that lies within them. I have the capacity to either bring these students' power to the forefront, and teach them how to use it, or conversely to stifle that power; to snuff it out. I believe in the power of children. I believe in my capacity to reaffirm the significant good natured souls of my students. I can do this through creating a safe space and helping them to develop their talents for reading and writing.
I come back time and time again to this amazing TED talk by educator Rita Pierson. She tells us to be champions for our students, to tell them "yes, you can do it. You have it in you". I feel like this is the mindset I need to rediscover before I go into student teaching. I have to be this person for my students. They will know that I recognize their power.
I recently saw this video (maybe in my PLC??) and I also LOVE it. Thanks for the reminder. Additionally, I was really moved by "it's my job to listen to the stories they have to tell." Wow. What a powerful, and loving, approach. I may have to quote you on this one. Full credit will be paid, of course. :) Thanks for writing! Abbi
ReplyDeleteI too have had the issue (especially after taking my intro to creative writing class) where when I don't do a bit of writing everyday, I do not feel like a real writer. I understand why it is encouraged, but I also think just writing in general needs to be a bit more encouraged. Some of my best writing was done in that class when I had to focus on writing at least two or three times a week. However, we were also doing writing prompts in class and reading a lot of great examples. I guess what I am saying is, I like your response because it made me think about how having the students do a prompt or a journal everyday may affect some of them like it did me, but I also want them to know that to be great writers, they need to continue that work ethic. Maybe not everyday like my professors suggested, but enough to have a body of work- something to draw on, so when the time does come to write an essay, a story, something that is subjective, they will have the tools to do so.
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad you took some solace in that as well. Jumping off of the 'we don't necessarily have to write every day to be a writer' idea, I was feeling a little bit of tension with how much every and all of our readings have been so attached to the idea of a writers struggle. Does it always have to be a struggle? Does it have to be a struggle for it to be good? I definitely don't think so! Cool thoughts, Casey!
ReplyDelete